Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Baltimore Block work

Since I have not been able to sew for the past several days and I won't be able to sew the next several days, this posting will have to satisfy my craving for applique by just looking at the Baltimore block I worked on last week.
The pictured design is a DAR museum (1997) Mary Mannakee Quilt (1850-51) block. It has very fun narrow, curved stems that are so fun to do! The leaves however are just OK sewing, and the curvy flowers are taking some work to get smooth inner curves. After I finish sewing four of these flowers on one block, my technique should show improvement! We'll see... I have made this block more difficult because I did not make a overlay template. I think that was a mistake and I may still draw one for easier layering placement. What I have done is not quite aligned without use of an overlay template.

I'm enjoying having two blocks going at the same time so I can get a welcome relief from the pointy tri-flowers in #3 CCCQ block. However, I am proud to say that I am keeping up with the monthly installments of CCCQ blocks! Although I haven't sewn as much as desired lately, I have been diligently grading papers, writing reports and meeting minutes - UHHGG! Won't get to sew for a few more days either due to more work and the fun of watching dd and friends at 5A & 6A State volleyball tourney on Fri. & Sat. Still need to work MORE on THE paper.

Happy Sewing to All!

2 comments:

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

This block looks lovely. How do you make your narrow stems?

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

Hi Carole, Since these are small pieces with a tight curve, I just cut out the curved pieces like any other pattern piece and then needle turn to sew.

I hold my thumb right on top of the piece just a cm (3/8th in) or so from where I'm sewing to hold it down. I also use some small applique pins to fold the upcoming edge down about 5-7cm (2 to 2&3/4in)in advance and use my needle to poke smooth and poke the edge into shape.

It seems to just turn under pretty easily and I'm always pleased at the way it turns out. I wish sewing down the points on the pointy flowers in CCCQ block #3 were so easy!