Translate

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

You've Got to See this!

I am having so much fun with these blocks. Have been pulling this together for about a month now. First got the book, then gathering the fabrics from the stash and beyond. Then spent several days cutting out pieces. Just a little at a time and now it is coming together. Sewed my first arc 3 days ago - paper piecing and it went just fine. Not like the disaster that I had when trying my first paper piecing of a six inch Christmas exchange block about 2 years ago. After that I thought I hated paper piecing. Not so with these blocks. It is really fun and easy. No problem getting the paper of either. I like it! And the blocks (arcs) are looking SOOOO good!

Thanks to quilter extraordinaire "down under" Mrs. Quiltsalott for the inspiration and encouragement on starting this project! Take a look at her masterpiece "Licorice Alsorts" to see what I mean. My quilt from Kaffe Fassett' Quilt Romance Book is citrus flavored! (orange, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon and lime). How about this catchy name? "Candied Citrus Slices" (AKA "Pickle Dish" according to the name in the book but it looks like a cross between a double wedding ring and pickle dish to me. It is missing the spiky points of the traditional pickle dish.)

These colors are so fun to work with and the quilt is so busy and patterned with design and color that gives it that "Australian" look. It reminds me of older quilts that were made with what was available, older mis-matched type prints with prints that I love! Kind of "blended" too. Very fun angle for me using new and old and unlikely groupings of pattern and color. The paper pieced pattern and bright colors are way outside my traditional quilting style, but I am having fun venturing out! The color was inspired by orange left overs from the Indian Paintbrush. I am inspired by those bright oranges! (Oops, that quilt is still without it's binding :(

The challenge so far for this quilt has been coming up with a background fabric that is patterned, but not overpowering, light orange with infusion of a few other colors to tie it with the overall look. I think Mary at Quilter's Corner has helped me solve this. She gasped when she saw the project (and my fabric palette) and was doubtful that we would find what I needed in her shop. But, right off - there was an "America Jane" that seemed to be what I was looking for. I bought a little to bring home and test out. I think it is perfect! Here is a little sneak preview. Not what you would expect is it? But I think it is perfect!

3 comments:

Dolly said...

Ooh, the background fabric even has ARCS in it !

You sound so great, all excited over a new quilting adventure !
Press on ! Literally !

Brenda said...

I LOVE all the orange.

Our craft worlds collide. Kaffe Fassett also did a number of knitting patterns in extreme color. I haven't yet tackled one, so you're ahead of me.

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

Thank you for your kind words! This "orange" fabric palate is very cheerful to work with