Translate

Monday, June 6, 2011

Baltimore Rose Wreath

















I just traced off this pattern for future work...then just had a little more time so based it to background...then it really was calling me to just try a stitch or two...next thing you know I was hooked!! It is a very intricate design from Elly Sienkiewicz's Baltimore Beauties and Beyond Baltimore Album book.

I have been so inspired for months by the beautiful blocks made by Jane. Thanks Jane! Her applique is exquisite! Take a look...(Jane's Threads and Treasures Blog) I knew I would eventually give it a try. Later on I bought the book used online. I viewed a few other historical books on Baltimore quilts from the library and book swap and have been reviewing them often before bed for sweet Baltimore dreams! (no dreams really except day dreams :)

The original pattern that caught my eye on her blog was the Divine Guidance block. It is absolutely lovey! I like it so much but it seems intimidating with the sharp points plus I am not sure of the fabric for it. So, I decided that this block would be the place to start since I have plenty of green that would look the part.

The sewing was completely fun for me and addictive. I began tracing and cutting the pattern then next thing you know I was sewing it while doing a "family movie night" at home on Friday. It was hard to stop even though the movie was long over, I kept going. This represents about 3-4 hours of late night sewing (with some interruptions). It was challenging, but I am sure my skills will improve. I can't wait to work on it some more.

I will post more work in progress as I go as a chronology of my progress (until we are sick of seeing it probably :) It is such a motivational reward to know I can sew on it in the evening after the daily writing work I must do during this summer.

Happy Quilting Everyone!

No comments: